Thursday, October 16, 2014

Death and the Model Railroader IX: Commemorative Cars
















One way I remember model railroad friends who have died is by making patched cars.

The cars--all covered hoppers, so far--carry their initials, age at death and the year of their passing.

I just made the newest addition to my commemorative fleet. It's one that I wished I didn't have to make. It recalls my brother-in-law, Ken Epp, who passed away Oct. 14, 2014. 

The car is lettered with the initials of his name: Kenneth John Epp. Its number is 5914.















It joins the car I made for David R. Dyck, the other member of our model railroad trio. Its number is 7104.

I also made a car for my dad. He wasn't a model railroader, but he helped me get started in the hobby. For that, I am grateful.

I have no desire to add more patched commemorative cars to the layout, though. As the Sargeant said at the beginning of each episode of Hill St. Blues: "Let's be careful out there."



1 comment:

  1. I had a similar practice in place, John. Whenever possible, I decalled cars with birthdates of family members - my Dad D&H 19227 for Feb 19, 1927, CP 351089 for my son Oct 1989, and CP 357894 for my daughter, Aug 7, 1994.

    Little details such as this make model railroading very personal and therefore more meaningful. It really is more than just watching trains go 'round and 'round, isn't it?
    Eric

    ReplyDelete