Saturday, March 15, 2014

Hypnotizing Helixes, Spellbinding Spirals and Captivating Curves



Someone had a lot of time on their hands . . . enough time to build this amazing eight-loop helix-style track arrangement out of Bachman EZ track, add 141 cars and nine locomotives, and then make a video of it.

I don't know about you, but I find the whole thing sort of mesmerizing. And admirable, in a way; unlike building a layout, this set up is temporary. That's a lot of work for something that had to be dismantled later!

According to the builder, James Risner, the radius of the curves are 15, 18, 22, 26, 28, 33 and 35 inches.

If clicking on the photo above doesn't work for you, click here to watch the video. If you want a engineer's eye view of the set up, click here. Warning! It may cause dizziness. (It made me feel a little unsteady.)



But that's not the only unique track arrangement James created; nine months earlier he made this unique dogbone-style layout and ran three locomotives and 144 cars on it. He used Knex pieces to create the supports.

Again, if the video doesn't open for you above, click here.

He also ran a 206 car train on a different track arrangement; click here to see that set up.


When I was a kid, I set up my Lionel and later my Tri-Ang trains on the living room floor of my childhood home; never in a million years could I have dreamed of something like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment