Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Layout For Sale: Comes With House


Are you looking for a layout with a house attached?

In 1988, I tried to sell my first layout. I posted an advertisement in local hobby shops: “Layout for sale: $80,000. P.S. Comes with house.”

I was reminded of that experience when someone posted a note on Trainorders.com about a model railroader in Texas who is trying to sell his house, complete with an outdoor riding layout.

You can see it at http://raneyrealestate.net/FeaturedHomes/414RoseWaySaladoTX76571.aspx (Photo of layout above.)

My layout, with attached house, didn’t sell. I wasn’t surprised. I think it’s pretty rare for something like that to occur.

First off, there are a very small number of potential buyers.

Second, a layout is the personal expression of its creator—it’s hard someone else to take it over.

Third, very few people are searching for a complete layout. (They may want pieces of it, but not the whole thing.)

In the end, I dismantled my old layout. I wonder if the owner of this house will have to do that to his layout, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment