Sunday, March 6, 2016

Bowser SD40-2 Units on the M & M Sub.




















Finally! Long after everyone else seems to have posted photos of Bowser's new SD40-2 unit, I received mine--and had some time between business trips to run them.

They run and look great, although I found them to be a bit finicky with my trackwork.

I will admit to not having the best trackwork, but it rarely gives me a problem.
















But the two Bowser units seem to have more limited flexibility in their trucks than my other locomotives.

Places where one side of the track was lower than the other caused them to derail. A few shims fixed the problem.
















Otherwise, they are great! And it was a real privilege to provide some very limited assistance to Lee English of Bowser along the way.

I ran my two units with a Kato and Athearn since I want to enjoy the great looking Bowser units at the head of trains, what with their working ditchlights and headlights.
















Of course, they need a run through the weathering shop; but that will come later.





























3 comments:

  1. Have the same problem with mine. the axles are too stiff and the middle axle doesn't float when there is slight irregularity in the track work. I filed my contact wiper at the center axle hole to a slight oval to give some up and down play in the middle axle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how did you do file the wipers? I assume you took the trucks off. How does one do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how did you do file the wipers? I assume you took the trucks off. How does one do that?

    ReplyDelete