Monday, June 22, 2015

Summer Trip on VIA #2 from Saskatoon to Winnipeg




















I had to be in the Saskatoon area for business this month. I needed to fly there to make my meeting on time, but I had time to come back the best way possible: By train.

VIA #2 was late coming to Saskatoon, so I caught a bit of traffic and some switching while I waited.















When you travel by train, you're reminded that we live in a big country. You can see for miles on the prairies.















You also get to see things you can't see from the highway, like this abandoned grain elevator.



I was in the third car from the front, in coach. There were 21 cars in the train that day.















Darting between the signals.















Sunset from the dome car.















Late arrival in Winnipeg.
















So that's four train trips this year so far for me. I hope I can do at least one more.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to take the Canadian for business, but the time keeping has been so inconsistent that I don't dare.

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True enough--you can only do it if you have lots of time ahead of you upon arrival, or it doesn't matter when you get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photo of the elevator! A local farm in Waldron, SK owns and uses it. It was built in 1948 - I was in that area last July and took a few photos of that elevator. Be nice to travel on a train...

    ReplyDelete