Sunday, March 1, 2015

Vintage Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway Photos














The Internet, it is said, has not only eliminated a sense of geography--we can be in touch with and know just about anything and anyone from anywhere--but also a sense of time.

Want to watch an old episode of I Love Lucy? Search YouTube and you will find them.

The old station on Geneva St.














Want to read the August 4, 1967 issue of Time Magazine? For a fee, you can browse it online, together with all the other back issues.

Is the classic 1970 movie The Battle of Waterloo one of your favourites? Want to hear The Doors sing Light My Fire at the Hollywood Bowl in 1968? Again, they're just a click away.














Once upon a time you had to go to a book store, a record store, the library or wait until a movie was on TV or a song played on the radio to see, hear or read those things.

Now they are available any time. Time itself, it seems, has lost some of its meaning.

Which is a long preamble to the subject of this post: Vintage photos of the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway.














I was born in St. Catharines three years before the NS&T shut down. (I blogged about it here.) Whenever I want to remember it, I can pull out one of the books I own about it.

Or, in this Internet age, I can visit Vintage St. Catharines on Facebook.













Vintage sites for various places in North America are cropping up on the Web. This one is a place for people to post photos and memories of St. Catharines of the past.

Already, the group has over 5,000 members.

As I scrolled through the photos, I found a number of the old NS&T. I have no idea where they came from. Maybe they were copied off the Web. Or maybe they are from someone's old collection.

However they came to be on that page, I am sharing them here. Maybe you, like me, occasionally feel like escaping the normal constraints of time. If that's the case, enjoy!

And if you are from St. Kitts, as it is also known, visit the Vintage St. Catharines Facebook page.
























































No comments:

Post a Comment