Saturday, April 5, 2014

The X2F Coupler: Keeping it Together Since 1955













Like many HO scale modellers, my first locomotives and rolling stock were equipped with X2F couplers--or, as they were more popularly known, horn hooks.

Also like many HO scale modellers, I converted to Kadee knuckle couplers as quickly as possible.

One person who hasn't is Eric Gagnon of the Trackside Treasure blog. In a recent instalment, Eric gives an interesting look at the history of the much-maligned X2F, and shares why he is still proud to use them on his layout.

This includes what he thinks might be the only Rapido CP Rail Angus Van in the world that uses horn hook couplers.

Note the X2F couplers.











In my early days of modelling, when I didn't have a lot of disposable income, the changeover to Kadees went slowly. For a while I had a boxcar with a horn hook on one end and a Kadee on the other so I could create a train with cars using both couplers.

I don't miss the old horn hooks, and I have no desire to go back to using them. But reading Eric's blog post gave me nostalgic look back at those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment